Because the Director of the Workplace for Civil Rights (OCR) on the U.S. Division of Well being and Human Providers (HHS), I’m happy with my staff’s work in the direction of rising cybersecurity consciousness final month, and actually, each month. OCR enforces the Well being Insurance coverage Portability and Accountability Act’s (HIPAA) Privateness, Safety, and Enforcement Guidelines to guard people’ well being data non-public and safe.
To maintain people’ protected well being data secure, a corporation will need to have robust cybersecurity measures. When a HIPAA regulated entity understands and has good cybersecurity practices in place, this lowers the chance of protected well being data turning into compromised. To advertise these good practices, OCR presents sources to the general public and coated entities that tackle trending cybersecurity matters. Though robust cybersecurity habits ought to be year-round, OCR celebrated October’s Cybersecurity Consciousness Month with gusto within the following methods:
- Useful resource Paperwork on Telehealth: OCR issued two useful resource paperwork to advertise cybersecurity in telehealth for various audiences.
- E-newsletter on Sanctions Insurance policies: OCR ceaselessly publishes Cybersecurity Newsletters to maintain the general public knowledgeable of probably the most up-to-date cybersecurity matters. In October, OCR put out a publication on “How Sanction Insurance policies Can Help HIPAA Compliance”. A company’s sanction insurance policies may be an vital software for supporting accountability and enhancing cybersecurity and information safety. The publication relayed what the features, the content material, and execution of what such a coverage may appear like.
- Movies on Defending In opposition to Cyber-Assaults: OCR launched two movies, in English and Spanish, on the HIPAA Safety Rule and the way it can assist regulated entities defend towards cyber-attacks. The movies focus on actual world cyber-attack traits, primarily based on OCR’s expertise with its breach stories and enforcement, together with methods to detect and mitigate frequent cyber-attacks.
- Settlements: OCR introduced its first ever settlement regarding a ransomware assault. Ransomware is a sort of malware (malicious software program) designed to disclaim entry to a person’s information, often by encrypting the information with a key identified solely to the hacker who deployed the malware, till a ransom is paid. This settlement with a enterprise affiliate highlights how ransomware assaults are more and more frequent and concentrating on the well being care system.
- Webinar on Threat Evaluation: To cap off Cybersecurity Consciousness Month, OCR hosted a webinar titled “The HIPAA Security Rule Risk Analysis Requirement”, to an viewers of over 4,000 registrants. A threat evaluation is a key and needed step for efficient cybersecurity and HIPAA Safety Rule compliance. This webinar mentioned what’s required to conduct an correct and thorough threat evaluation to protected well being data.
- Cybersecurity Coaching: All through October, OCR’s eight regional workplaces carried out cybersecurity coaching for big hospitals, small medical suppliers, enterprise associates, state well being departments, and state social service companies to help them in complying with their cybersecurity obligations within the face of fixing hostile threats.
We encourage your efforts to maintain your group in compliance with HIPAA, and a part of that effort is having robust cybersecurity measures. Keep tuned for future OCR bulletins in help of HIPAA and cybersecurity, and please make use of our free cybersecurity sources.