Methods to Write Your “23 for 2023” Checklist
Through the duties of on a regular basis life, we are able to get so busy that it may be troublesome to take the vitality and time to pause and replicate.
Because of this, I’m an enormous fan of any train that helps us to step again and take into consideration adjustments we would make to turn into happier, more healthy, extra productive, or extra artistic.
Typically, that catalyst is a date, comparable to January 1—if you would like extra concepts of dates to make use of, check out the Calendar of Catalysts.
Questioners could protest that the date of January 1 is unfair, but it surely does mark a milestone in time, and is a cultural second that reminds us to assume huge and broad.
On the Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast, we talk about completely different approaches to creating change. For 2023, we’ve talked about becoming a member of the yearly problem (#Outside23in23), figuring out a one-word theme for 2023, and making a “23 for 2023” checklist.
Analysis reveals that once we set particular goals for ourselves, no shock, we’re extra prone to obtain them. So taking the time to make this checklist could make an enormous distinction to our happiness.
Over time, we’ve seen the artistic ways in which individuals method these lists.
Methods to make your 23 for 2023 checklist:
- Use the quantity 23 in a artistic approach, comparable to “Strive 23 new recipes” or as Elizabeth notes, “Learn 23 novels”
- Divide the checklist into classes, comparable to “Household,” “Profession,” “Journey” “Enjoyable”
- Construct the whole checklist round a single vital goal, comparable to “Transfer” or “Change careers”
- Construct the whole checklist your one-word theme—as an illustration, “Earn” or “Fewer”
- It’s useful to be concrete, and body gadgets as actions, not outcomes—not “Study Italian” however “Memorize 5 new phrases every single day” or “Use Duolingo every single day”
- Take into account whether or not you’re an Upholder, Questioner, Obliger, or Insurgent—take the free “4 Tendencies” persona quiz
- Create a compelling visible show of your checklist
- Assessment your checklist ceaselessly—I goal to evaluate my checklist on the twenty third of each month
- Take into account making a listing of solely pleasing gadgets! Particularly you Obligers!
- Share a listing with another person, to work on goals collectively
- Take note of vocabulary—the identical exercise might be far more interesting, or not, relying on how we body it, the vocabulary we use.
Don’t fear about whether or not you’ll be capable to cross off all 23 gadgets. Neither Elizabeth nor I has ever managed to finish a whole checklist! However making this checklist assist us to be happier.
Wish to make checklist of your “23 for 2023?” Obtain the free PDF right here. We like to see individuals’s lists—it’s fascinating to see what individuals do with their checklist—so for those who’re so inclined, submit it to #23for23 on social media. We are able to all be taught from one another.
Elizabeth’s 23 for 2023 checklist:
One-word theme is SCALE.
- Hike Fryman Canyon 50 occasions—she’s going to trace within the Happier™ app
- Floss each evening
- Get again in her marriage ceremony rings
- Hike in Ojai with Sarah
- Make a journey with mates from highschool
- Get the proper small cross-body bag
- Use her packing cubes
- Learn 23 novels (this consists of audiobooks)
- Through the potential writers’ strike, define a novel
- Strive pickleball
- Get her mah jong group going once more
- At all times carry Kleenex
- Get two physique scans
- Stroll to Malibu
- End her will with Adam
- Go exterior 23 minutes a day—in fact!
- Host a household occasion
- Construct up Daisy’s and Nacho’s stamina to allow them to go on hikes
- Improve her house workplace
- Throw out gross t-shirts—each onerous and straightforward to do
- Get a brand new gown
- Go away for an evening with mates
- Do Season Three of Fantasy Island—an end result, however she’s going to manifest it
Gretchen’s 23 for 2023 checklist:
One-word theme is WAVE.
- Go to the Met every single day
- Go exterior 23 in 23
- Make amends for my picture albums
- 30 straight days of tradition
- Deal with one troublesome electronic mail per day
- Make standing haircut appointments
- Purchase new underwear
- Have a summer season of re-reading
- Be extra systematic about connecting with mates and colleagues
- Purchase airplane denims
- Assist Eleanor get a driver’s license and Elizabeth to make a will
- Determine the route for my subsequent writing challenge
- Take pleasure in 23 seconds of sensory delight every day
- Put on make-up every single day
- Work on my Muse Machine
- Create a time capsule for 2023—we talked about this concept in episode 401
- Ask individuals for the names of journalists who is likely to be fascinated by my e book Life in 5 Senses
- Begin a brand new group
- As soon as a month, decide a New York Metropolis place I’ve by no means visited, and go there
- Embrace this yr of household transition
- Assessment this checklist on the twenty third of every month
- Add a “My Thirty Minutes” to my calendar every workday (and determine a catchy title for this time)
- Watch a terrific TV present
Elizabeth and I’ve made these lists for a number of years, and annually, we’re so completely happy we did it. It’s a really clarifying and artistic train.
Additionally, it’s a enjoyable train to do with different individuals. Elizabeth and I’ve a good time speaking about our lists collectively; sharing lists is a good way to spark dialog about pursuits, values, and goals. Strive doing it with mates, household, or co-workers. Chances are you’ll discover gadgets that you simply’d prefer to deal with collectively.
Have you ever discovered any recent methods to articulate and work in the direction of your goals? Making a New 12 months’s decision isn’t the one approach!